Functions and facilities
The intention is for Oudemanhuispoort to accommodate various functions:
• Faculty of Humanities departments (e.g. offices, meeting rooms, etc.)
• Lecture rooms and small teaching rooms
• Study places
• Reception rooms
• Offices for UvA support and management staff (FS, ICTS and HO)
• Underground bicycle shelter
• Central logistics facility.
In order to fit all the programme elements into the building and improve its structure, the Master Plan outlined a proposal to partially demolish sections and then rebuild these (a total of approximately 7,500 m2 GFA in the non-historic building sections).
Architects have been invited to submit a design, with execution scheduled to take place in late 2021. Until building work actually begins, Oudemanhuispoort will be used for teaching and temporary student housing.
Student accommodation in Oudemanhuispoort building
The accommodation is temporary in nature because, after this period, the building will be refurbished and will, once again, primarily be used for the UvA's education and research. This development is part of the redevelopment of the University Quarter in accordance with the Master Plan ( in Dutch).
Design team for Oudemanhuispoort
The team for the Oudemanhuispoort building, led by architectural firm Frits van Dongen, has been selected. The architects were selected on the basis of their vision for the project and their action plan.
Learn more about this vision in the full newsletter (link opens in window).
In 1602, on the premises of the former nunnery called Oude Nonnenklooster, the Oude Mannen en Vrouwen Gasthuis was opened, intended to house elderly men and women. The main wing on the north side comprised two parallel wings and featured a decorative entrance and pediment, with the side wings accommodating the governors and governesses as well as elderly men and women.
Renovation of old men's and women's house
In the latter half of the eighteenth century, the building was entirely renovated, while keeping its basic shape, using a design by G.F. Maybaum and mayor P. Rendorp. The corridor along the south facade became a covered passageway with 18 shop stalls, the current book market.
The functions of Oudemanhuispoort
From 1831 on, the home served as beadhouse, hospital and annex to the Binnengasthuis hospital. In addition, it was home to the Koninklijke Academie van Beeldende Kunsten and its successor as fine arts academy, the Rijksakademie, as well as Museum Van der Hoop (1854-1885). In 1880, the building was taken over by the University of Amsterdam (UvA), with the most recent renovations dating back to the 1960s.
Part of the building is currently being used by the Faculty of Humanities and since March 2019, another part for temporary student housing.
AT5 ‘Oudemanhuispoort’ video (in Dutch)
Amsterdam broadcasting network AT5 shot a piece on Oudemanhuispoort in April 2019, as part of its series on Amsterdam Streets entitled De Straten van Amsterdam. Starting at 8 minutes and 40 seconds (08:40) is an interview with UvA historian Petra Brouwer.