For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.


Together with the ‘Pyramid building’ (BG5), BG3 (which is more commonly known as ‘the round building on the Binnengasthuis site’), or the round part of the building at least, is one of the most recent additions to the UvA's buildings in the University Quarter.

Did you know that ...

... the Kinderkliniek children's hospital, which was demolished in 1991, once stood where the round addition to the building now stands?
... the exterior and the staircase of the old part of the building, which was designed by J.M. van der Meij, still retain the original design?  Read below about history.
... various UvA departments and related facilities are currently based here, including VOX-POP and the Humanities Lab, as well as the UvA's Real Estate Development department and a number of offices of Facility Services and start-ups.
... in the near future, this building will probably fulfil a different function for the UvA? Read below about the function and functionalities.

Entrance of BG3

History of BG3

BG3 comprises two building sections, which were constructed in different eras. The oldest part, on the Oudezijds Achterburgwal side, is the original Administratiegebouw (Administration Building), dating from 1916 and designed by J.M. van der Meij. The oval part, on the square called Binnengasthuisplein, is the later addition designed by Theo Bosch, dating from 1995.

The Administratiegebouw comprises a central middle section with a ground floor, two upper floors and an attic under a hip roof. The extensions on either side are two or three floors with a flat roof. The building used to be connected to the Kinderkliniek, originally a children's hospital, which was demolished and replaced with an extension with a floor plan shaped more or less like an oval, with a basement, ground floor and two upper floors under a flat roof.

The Administratiegebouw

The Administratiegebouw was built in 1913-1916, based on a design by J.M. van der Meij. It was originally connected to the Kinderkliniek, the children's hospital behind it, which was demolished in 1991 to make room for a building designed by Theo Bosch (1940-1994). This was posthumously completed in 1995. Pressure from society and an administrative recommendation led to politicians deciding in 1982 that retaining Van der Meij's building was of significant interest. The building is an early Amsterdam School design, and the visible use of concrete was lauded as exceptional. 

Most of the Administratiegebouw interior was demolished, however, although the stairwells are still largely in keeping with Van der Meij's design. With the exception of a chimney to the left of the building facade, the exterior still strongly resembles the original design, although Bosch did build on the balconies on the corners.

Oval Theo Bosch extension
The new construction is oval in shape, with floors supported by pilotis and with an open floor plan. The old and new parts of the building are connected by an open building section, with a footbridge connecting the second floor of the new part with the old part of the building. The interiors of both the old and the new part have similar floor plans and finishing. As it is today, the new section of the building is largely the same as the original Bosch design.

Source: 2019 P. Vlaardingerbroek, Monumenten en Archeologie gemeente Amsterdam, Beschrijving van Binnengasthuisstraat 9 [Monuments, Historical Buildings and Archaeology Department of the City of Amsterdam, description of Binnengasthuisstraat 9], internal document, compiled on 14 February 2019. With references to, among other things, building files from the Monuments, Historical Buildings and Archaeology Department, Amsterdam City Archives, the latter's image bank, Stadsdeel Centrum (City Centre urban district), Archief Bouw- en Woningtoezicht (Building Control Department Archives).

Future function and features

The BG3 building, at Binnengasthuisstraat 9, will be refurbished and renovated until February 2022. The building will be made ready for the temporary accommodation of the FGw Executive Board and the Faculty Office, which will have their offices there from March 2022 onwards.

Activities and planning
A number of architectural and technical adjustments will be made in the building. The sun blinds, for example, will be replaced and a (platform) lift will be installed in the building for the accessibility of the mezzanine floor of the pavilion. Supplies for the work will mainly be delivered via the Oudezijds Voorburgwal.

- Completion of the building: Week 44 (2021) - Week 9 (2022)
- Faculty move-in: March 2022 
The planning is subject to change.   
The work at BG3 will only take place inside the building. The contractor will try to prevent any inconvenience to the immediate surroundings as much as possible.